Wednesday, September 10, 2008

New iPod Generation Released

On Tuesday, Steve Jobs presented to the world the newest generation of iPods at an event called "Let's Rock" in San Francisco. Now smaller and holding more songs than before, these iPods seem to be better than previous generations.

It is interesting, as the New York Times pointed out, that attention has now been driven away from the iPhone. Personally, I think that enough people already know about the iPhone that focusing on iPods won't hurt Apple, and with the new fun colors of the iPod nano they're sure to catch everyone's eye.

Another interesting topic in the NYT article is that NBC finally put shows back for sale in the iTunes store. It's interesting that the conflict was over show pricing. According to an article at engadget.com (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/31/apple-cancels-nbc-shows-on-itunes-with-near-immediate-effect/), NBC wanted to charge $4.99 per show for new shows. I don't understand why anyone would pay that much, because waiting for it to come out on DVD would probably be cheaper...and better quality to say the least. I mean, one can watch iTunes shows on a real TV with AppleTV, but how many people are really going to invest in one?

It's probably a good thing that NBC agreed to this, because I don't think anyone was about to protest that their shows weren't on iTunes. I could be wrong, but putting TV shows on iTunes can only help a TV network, so why not?

My favorite part of the article was the last sentence which talked about the disappointment that Steve Jobs didn't reveal a surprise on stage. I mean yes, the designs and some features have been leaked online, but is a new generation of iPods not enough fun for one day? If not, I would like to know what. is.

My only concern with Apple now is their pricing on the iPod touch.

Now, I do have more than one iPod. I have too many iPods. I won't pay a rediculous amount of money for them, which is why I can't seem to figure out the pricing on the iPod Touch. I don't understand why one would pay $229 for a 30GB iPod Touch when it's only $30 more for a 120GB iPod Classic. Now I know having a touch screen may seem way cooler, but I just don't understand how these are so similar in price when one offers four times as much space.



http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/10/technology/10apple.html?ref=technology

2 comments:

Masha Misco said...

You are not alone! Michael posted a similar concern in his blog. It does seem very odd that Apple gives so much attention to iPods (they seem to get redesigned weekly) and makes them so affordable and ignores the iTouch...

Alex said...

I totally agree with you, I think the iPod touch is way too much. The crazy thing about it is that people are willing to pay that much for just the touch screen. Once other companies come out with a similar product the price will drop.