In an article in the New York Times dated today (September 4, 2008), it's explained how Comcast is challenging the FCC because of how the FCC has impeded on Comcast users' ability to share files and other things on the Internet. The FCC had originally been angry with Comcast for slowing down Internet service for users, which Comcast did in attempt to slow down torrents, and now Comcast thinks the FCC shouldn't have to deal with it.
This has a large impact on anyone that uses Comcast for their Internet service. Comcast is attempting to stop illegal file sharing online, which is a very popular thing to do as it has become easier and easier with sites like MediaFire, ShareBee, and ZShare.
I do think that it's a good idea for Comcast to be slowing down service to these sites, but at the same time they should have talked with FCC about it. If it had been okay with the FCC in the first place, or the FCC had made a rule about it, then I could see why relations would be smooth between Comcast and the FCC. Because Comcast did this without the FCC's permission, I could see how the issue could swell.
This could turn into an issue for non-Comcast users as well. I'm sure that Comcast isn't the only Internet provider that has thought about doing this. Unless the FCC takes action now, it would be very difficult to prevent providers from doing things like this in the future. If the FCC wants to be the one making the decisions, they should have thought about this in the first place.
According to a CNet article from February (http://news.cnet.com/Comcast-vs.-BitTorrent-to-be-focus-of-FCC-hearing/2100-1028_3-6231737.html), the FCC had said in 2005 that companies like Comcast can't interfere with this type of thing unless it's for "reasonable network managing purposes." I think that's vague enough for Comcast to get away with it.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/04/comcast-appeals-fcc-sanction/?ref=technology
Thursday, September 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment